[Wikipedia-l] Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

Andreas Vilén andreas.vilen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:38:40 UTC 2006

In that case you could add the romani and jiddish wikis and remove the
sv. wiki since Swedish is not an official language of Sweden but those
are... The point is, of course, that the majority of the Swedish
inhabitants speak Swedish, and when they go to an .se address they
assume to find content in Swedish. I guess most Swedish finns would go
to www.wikipedia.fi (which links directly to fiwiki, when Swedish has
shared official status with Finnish in Finland) if they searched for
content in Finnish.

All top domains I search for are redirects to their country's primary
language, I don't see why www.wikipedia.se shouldn't. In fact, since
wikipedia.fi is, that would be pure discrimination. Especially since
Swedish is far more widespread in Finland than Finnish is in Sweden.

But this wasn't really the point of the discussion. The point is: is
is possible to finance the purchase of the domain name?

/Andreas