[Wikipedia-l] Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

Andreas Vilén andreas.vilen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 13:51:36 UTC 2006

Hi, I've started a discussion at svwiki about registering the address
www.wikipedia.se (.se is the primary domain of Sweden), but it's
currently owned by someone, and it will probably cost money to buy it.
I have not contacted the person who owns it yet, but I'm checking if
there's any way this could be financed by Wikimedia? I also see that
for example www.wikipedia.de, www.wikipedia.no and www.wikipedia.pl
already exists.

I think registering the .se address would increase traffic to the
Swedish Wikipedia, since many today probably believe there is only an
English version of it, and I don't know, but I suspect that traffic to
svwiki is relatively low, at least we have pretty few editors.

Is there any possibility this could be done?

Thank you!

Andreas