[Wikipedia-l] Serbo-Croatian wikipedia

Stacey Doljack Borsody hjernespiser at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 16:51:47 UTC 2006

--- wikipedia-l-request at Wikimedia.org wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:27:15 -0700
> From: Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Wikipedia-l] Serbo-Croatian wikipedia
> To: wikipedia-l at wikimedia.org
>
> Why, then, can't a Neo-Štokavian Wikipedia unite Bosnian, Serbian,
> Croatian, Montenegrin,  Metohijan, and Hercegovinian, Muslim,
> Catholic, and Orthodox?
>
> Mark

Because they don't want to be united.  The word balkanize isn't named after the Balkans for no
reason.  Yugoslavia broke up after communism for a reason.  And it has been going on like this for
centuries.  In the 20s and 30s during the Depression,  my grandfather (Slovene) played baseball
all around the country.  He couldn't understand why two of his teammates, one Serb the other
Croat, would not speak to each other.  He would harass them saying, "You are both born here in
America!  You are Americans!  You're on the same team!"  I doubt Wikipedia is going to solve their
self-inflicted problems and I honestly think it is a waste of everyone's time on this list for
them to come here and try to ask foreigners to solve their problems.

.s