[Wikipedia-l] Fairness in voting

Arbeo M arbeo_m at yahoo.de
Fri Jan 13 14:21:07 UTC 2006

Mark Williamson wrote:

    >Hi,

>The conflict at the Moldovan Wikipedia has reignited.

>A new user made a page called "Alegeri" (elections).

>It starts with him espousing his POVs.

>The requirements of the vote are:

>1) You have to speak Romanian/Moldovan "adequately". Whether or not
>your skills are "adequate", is to be judged by this particular user
>himself.
>2) You have to have at least 25 contributions on the Moldovan
>Wikipedia... OR the Romanian Wikipedia!!!

>Now, that strikes me as inherently unfair. Romanian Wikipedians are
>allowed to vote, sort of like a free pass? But no other Wikimedians??
>It's not the ROmanian Wikipedia after all, it's the Moldovan
>Wikipedia!

>You may argue all you want about whether or not Moldovan and Romanian
>are a single language, whether or not that Wikipedia should exist, but
>to let everybody from one Wiki vote for the future of another one, but
>nobody from any other wikis may participate, seems inherently unfair.

>The same user has been very... shall we say, "headstrong". He moved
>dozens and dozens of pages from Cyrillic titles to Latin titles
>(instead of creating brand-new pages in Latin), and replaced their
>entire contents with direct copy from ro.wiki, systematically. He
>obviously didn't even review his work, because many images were broken
>because the image tag for ro: ([[imagine:...]]) doesn't work on
>mo.wiki (you have to use the default, [[image:...]]).

>Now, so far, of all the people who voted, the vast majority are
>Romanians. How is that fair? Romanians get to decide the future of the
>Moldovan Wikipedia, but no *other* foreigners may weigh in?

>Well, maybe some Romanians don't see themselves as foreigners, but in
>the eyes of the world, they are. And besides, very clearly, there are
>two separate subdomains. Whether or not Romanians are Moldovans and
>vice-versa, very clearly most ro.wikipedians are NOT mo.wikipedians,
>though a few are.

>Your thoughts, please?

>Also, I encourage everybody to vote. I explained it at the enwiki
>village pump--news.

>Mark

  Hi Mark!

  Not a thought, actually. Just an observation: We've got around 200 Wikipedias here and this is the one that's got issues every few weeks that obviously can't be solved internally. The 'mo' edition of Wikipedia is but a tiny one and still we keep hearing more about it here than about most of the really big ones.

  Another thing everybody who reads this list could easily observe in the recent weeks and months is that the vast majority of users from both Moldova and Romania seem to be pretty unhappy with the current modus operandi (to tell the truth I can't remember a single user from the area telling us he or she likes the current arrangement and wants to keep it).

  With this in mind I believe the only way we can assure that there will be less fuss about that Wikipedia here in the future is to listen to the users who are most concerned by it.

  Best wishes

  Arbeo