[Wikipedia-l] Fairness in voting

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 04:58:35 UTC 2006

Hi,

The conflict at the Moldovan Wikipedia has reignited.

A new user made a page called "Alegeri" (elections).

It starts with him espousing his POVs.

The requirements of the vote are:

1) You have to speak Romanian/Moldovan "adequately". Whether or not
your skills are "adequate", is to be judged by this particular user
himself.
2) You have to have at least 25 contributions on the Moldovan
Wikipedia... OR the Romanian Wikipedia!!!

Now, that strikes me as inherently unfair. Romanian Wikipedians are
allowed to vote, sort of like a free pass? But no other Wikimedians??
It's not the ROmanian Wikipedia after all, it's the Moldovan
Wikipedia!

You may argue all you want about whether or not Moldovan and Romanian
are a single language, whether or not that Wikipedia should exist, but
to let everybody from one Wiki vote for the future of another one, but
nobody from any other wikis may participate, seems inherently unfair.

The same user has been very... shall we say, "headstrong". He moved
dozens and dozens of pages from Cyrillic titles to Latin titles
(instead of creating brand-new pages in Latin), and replaced their
entire contents with direct copy from ro.wiki, systematically. He
obviously didn't even review his work, because many images were broken
because the image tag for ro: ([[imagine:...]]) doesn't work on
mo.wiki (you have to use the default, [[image:...]]).

Now, so far, of all the people who voted, the vast majority are
Romanians. How is that fair? Romanians get to decide the future of the
Moldovan Wikipedia, but no *other* foreigners may weigh in?

Well, maybe some Romanians don't see themselves as foreigners, but in
the eyes of the world, they are. And besides, very clearly, there are
two separate subdomains. Whether or not Romanians are Moldovans and
vice-versa, very clearly most ro.wikipedians are NOT mo.wikipedians,
though a few are.

Your thoughts, please?

Also, I encourage everybody to vote. I explained it at the enwiki
village pump--news.

Mark