[Wikipedia-l] Serbo-Croatian wikipedia

Milos Rancic millosh at mutualaid.org
Sun Jan 8 21:51:11 UTC 2006

On 1/8/06, Dejan Cabrilo <dcabrilo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I did do it. And the storm rolled upon me. I was mostly quickly
> reverted, or even rolled back. In fact, if I remember correctly, I was
> the one to introduce POV and copyvio templates, no? Check out my
> contributions on sr.wiki (User:Dcabrilo). When I started doing it, you
> proposed that we allow POV articles to stay on the wiki, with a
> permanent template of: "This article was written from such and such
> POV". I said we should either get rid of them, or rewrite them. You
> said you thought they were just too good of essays to delete, and that
> you talked to Jimbo Wales while he was in Belgrade about that issue.

Between 27th July 2004 and 3rd March 2005 you made 53 edits on Serbian
Wikipedia (including your translation of article about Kosovo and
excluding any conflict).

More then two months after your last edit (13th May 2005) you started
with marking a dozens of articles with POV tag (a lot of them was/are
POV, but some of them wasn't/aren't POV, but your personal opinion)
without any intention to work on them! Also, you came with a lot of
bad faith. And I don't know what kind of feed back you expected?

You are talking now with a bad faith, too and you are misleading
people on the list. The idea of the template "This article was written
from such and such POV" was not to become permanent, but to stay there
until we have someone who can change the article accord to NPOV.
Because, unlike English Wikipedia, we don't have a number of experts
and/or people who are interested in such fields AND our intention was
to mark them with the same icons, but less offensive to prevent
further edit wars. AND it didn't pass because you and Zocky was
against that.

Just a little number of articles which you marked as POV are essays
and they are marked as essays now on Serbian Wikipedia. We will keep
them until we find some other place for them.

> And Serbian Wikipedia has more POV than English one, for sure. For
> example, just until few hours ago, this thing was stuck on the top of
> the Home Page:
>
> (MARRY CHRISTMAS)

You have some exact number of POV pages? Community started with idea
to congratulate all important dates for all confessions which are
related to Serbian cultural area (Christianity and Islam).

> Also, just for example, I noticed that article I labeled as POV (my
> mistake, it was not only POV, it was also a copyvio from
> http://www.svetosavlje.org/biblioteka/Recnik/A.htm), has been locked
> since I put a POV tag on it... May 2004.
> (http://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Адам_и_Ева).

As well as people who put it also got permissions to do that.

> So, yes, I did try to work on POV, but you and many others had no
> problems with POV (recognized as such) being included in the name
> space. As long as it had a tag...

No, you didn't try to work on POV, you just marked the articles
without any intention to work on them.

> Only on May 13th did I label about a dozen articles as POV (mostly
> Orthodox Christianity related). [[Википедија:Провера неутралности]].
> Many of those were beyond repair (they were simply religious essays).
>
> However, community than agreed that "We are a Serbian Wikipedia, so
> it's only normal to have that kind of bias".

Community agreed that it is normal that we would have more articles
about Orthodox Christianity then about Hinduism now. You are lying
again.

> > Latin alphabet is needed only because of Croats. Bosnians know
> > Cyrillics; if Slovenians know Serbian/Croatian, they know Cyrillics,
> > too. As well as Macedonians use only Cyrillics.
>
> Most Slovenes and Croats are not good with Cyrillic, and not
> comfortable enough with it to make edits. Many Bosnians as well. This
> is especially true for younger people. Most Macedonians, unlike most
> Slovenes, can read and write in both Cyrillic and Latin for that
> matter.

All Bosnians are learning Cyrillic in primary school (unlike Croats).
In general, young Slovenes doesn't know Serbian/Croatian.

But, the fact is that your xenophobia toward Cyrillic alphabet exists,
but I didn't see any xenophobia toward it from editors of Croatian
Wikipedia.