[Wikipedia-l] List of authors for each article

Robert Bamler Robert.Bamler at gmx.de
Mon Jan 2 17:39:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm working on a Wikipedia reader for the Apple iPod. To minimize the data
size occupied on the iPod I will only store the current articles on the
device (no "old"-table). However, the GFDL requires to mention the authors of
an article. Thus, each article on the iPod should contain a list of all
Wikipedia-users that appear in the revision history.

So, finally, my question is: Is there a way to get a list of the authors of
each article without having to download the (extremely large) xmldump of all
wikipedia-articles ever written since the beginning of time? I've already
tried the online SQL querying mechanism, but it seems to limit queries to
1000 results and to not support queries on the "old"-table.

By the way, another question comes to my mind: If a contributor to an article
wasn't logged in, do I have to mention his IP-number in the list of authors?
I don't think this would make much sense, but perhaps it's legally required
by the GFDL. Or is it sufficient to make the reader application display the
string "There might be other (anonymous) contributors to this article"?

I'm looking forward to your replies,
Robert