[Wikipedia-l] "Drive-by tagging" advice needed

Maury Markowitz maury_markowitz at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 30 16:15:40 UTC 2006

I recently got into a minor squable that started with another example of
what I refer to as "drive-by tagging". Basically someone comes by an article
and inserts a whole bunch of tags without any comment. Some of these may be
valid, others less so, but very often its impossible to know one way or the
other without the original "tagger" pointing out the problems.

For instance, consider this example I came across recently: Mirror Fusion
Test Facility. The "tagger" inserted a needs cats and needs wikification.
The cats one was entirely valid and I added one, but I can't for the life of
me even imagine what needs additional wikification. It seems to follow the
style guide perfectly. I wrote to the tagger, but he responded saying "by
following the link within the tag for all you need to know about wikifying
an article", which is a non-answer.

I would like to hear any comments you all may have on this topic. Is it OK
to simply remove vague tags if the article in question does not appear to
have a problem related to the tag and there is no comment? I ask because, as
I noted, the last time I removed tags the tagger then stamped the article
with a PROD, their argument being that removing tags is PRODable.

Maury