[Wikipedia-l] FYI:

Joseph Reagle reagle at mit.edu
Fri Sep 30 14:37:09 UTC 2005

For your review and or comment! :)

[[ http://reagle.org/joseph/2005/06/neutrality.html

     * Is the Wikipedia Neutral? - an (early draft) extension of A Case
       of Mutual Aid: Wikipedia, Politeness, and Perspective Taking to
       tease apart what is meant by something being neutral, and is it
       the right term to describe Wikipedia efforts:

     Claims of neutrality and accusations of bias are common themes of
     contemporary discourse about the media, government, education, and
     technology. In this essay I extend earlier work on the
     collaborative culture of Wikipedia (an on-line and free
     encyclopedia) to specifically focus on the fundamental but often
     misunderstood notion of neutrality.... This essay is inspired by
     earlier debates on neutrality of technical standards, literature on
     bias in technical systems, my present fascination with this
     Wikipedia norm and a change in my belief that while an important
     concept, the label of neutrality was an unfortunate coinage in the
     Wikipedia context.

]]