[Wikipedia-l] Re: No more new Wikipedias !

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 19:18:18 UTC 2005

Right

Time for me to say something here.

Angela is essentially right about myself not being willing to get
involved in the decision of a new language creation.

I consider the board is not here to micromanage things and that natural
leaders or natural groups of decision makers should appear to make the
final decision on whether to open a new language or not.

The board must certainly be involved in the deciding whether to create a
NEW PROJECT (such as Wikiversity or others), because this decision is
*strategic* to our whole organisation.

But once a project has be agreed upon, I do not see the decision of
opening one language or not being the job of board members, EXCEPT for
decision such as whether to work in real languages only, or to accept
constructed languages, because again, it might be a strategic decision.
My opinion on the matter is simply that languages such as Klington are
not welcome. And it seems the other board members agree with this.

However, collecting and offering knowledge to the largest number of
people on earth is our mission. And it makes sense that knowledge is
offered in the language people know best. So, I consider that by
default, as a board member, I agree with the creation of any (real and
used) language.
It also makes sense to ME, to help sustain endangered languages; so I
see no limit to our possibilities here.

However, AS A PERSON, I try to be practical and realistic.
Practically, a project with only one editor working on it, has high
chances to be crap or pov. It is NOT a 100% certain, but chances are high.
The problem with new languages is not only workload for the developers,
the problem with a new language with very few participants is simply a
project which is most of the time of poor quality. The QUANTITY of
information in the small wiki is NOT an issue for me. These projects
will NEVER be 100 000 articles big. It does not really matter. Even if
it contains only 5000 great quality stuff, it is WORTH it. Because good
quality content is worth.
But most small projects usually are of poor quality. And this is not
very good for our image.
Some will argue that as long as they are small, they are not very
visible, so it might not matter much. To a certain extent, this is true.
However, each time I visit the french wikinews, my heart grieves,
because though small, though demo, it is visible. And poor quality is
noticed.

So as a person, I would prefer that all the small languages future wiki
only start if they can show a significant group of editors involved and
motivated. However, some would also argue that if new languages REQUIRE
5 editors motivated at the same time to start... some encyclopedias such
as Bambara would NEVER start. And THIS would be a disastrous decision.

So, here is my handle.
If more than 5-10 real and motivated people are asking for a new
language, by all means, let's start the new language. Why on Earth would
you need a board decision to do this ? These guys are real, with real
needs and real motivation and real language. The project is approved. So
? Why not creating it ?
If only 1 or 2 people are asking for the language, then we should
discuss the reality of the language proposed and the opportunity of the
opening. If the language is spoken by 10 millions of people, by all
means, we should open it. 10 millions readers/editors IS significant. If
spoken by only 200 people, then we might decide to get to know the only
interested editor a bit more ... so delay the creation a little bit.

By the way, it would be nice that small new languages make the effort to
make short reports from time to time, so that any major difficulty does
not go unnoticed (such as a pov domination).

Anthere