[Wikipedia-l] Re: No more new Wikipedias !

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 23:22:08 UTC 2005

On 9/24/05, Tim Starling <t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> I created 5 new Wikipedias in June because I received a request from a
> Wikimedia Board member. If I receive another such specific request, I'll
> carry it out. I do that out of loyalty to them, not because I think it
> contributes to our mission.

I doubt you'll get another such request since I've been told that new
language wikis is not a Board issue and I shouldn't be taking
decisions on these or asking developers to start them. What people
fail to realise is that if the Board doesn't take these decisions (and
perhaps they're right and the Board shouldn't) - then who is going to
take them? There is increasingly resistance to the Board doing
anything, but also resistance to them delegating any authority they
may have had, which is just leading to stagnation. So, who should be
taking the decision on new language wikis (and also on new projects),
especially when no
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposed_policy_for_wikis_in_new_languages>
has ever been agreed upon?

Angela.