[Wikipedia-l] Re: Re: Wikipedia English English

Jack & Naree jack.macdaddy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 22:19:28 UTC 2005

Mark,
 I'm going to respond to you, because I think you're crying out for help
(...and because I want to try to adhere to Wikipedia ettiquette and repair
any damage).
 You don't sound remotely calm or considered.
I think you ought to re-read this post to me, and think about it.
It's no surprise that you decide to focus on the fact that I submit "teh" as
"the" without correcting it; it strikes me you do it to feel better about
yourself.
That is an example of troll behaviour. If you were interested in debating
properly you wouldn't pump out such childish shit. I'm at fault for
responding to it similarly, out of annoyance.
 I have read what I've sent. I have made errors. I have conceded,
apologised, and corrected myself.
 You have simply had an air of a superiority complex right from the first
reply.
 The things you've just ranted about "American English is ugly" - where did
say that? I didn't.
"...Americanised" - I made a case for it, not refuted.
"..spell better.." - Wrong again, I never said or suggested that, more of
your consistent bollocks.
 ...and no, (to add to the list of things I also never said) I didn't say
it's not OK for you to call me xyz, several others said that. Frankly, you
should know better.
 I'm not impulsive in calling you an impulsive, petulant, self-important
twat. I've thought about it; I've read your crap; and you are definitely all
of those things, and you're proving it now, and I'd be happy to scibble it
all over your face.
 You're regularly being impulsive with your hurried replies making
accusations you haven't checked the facts of, and it shows in your frantic
style of writing; you're being petulant because of your frantic desperation
to prove yourself right and "win", in addition to your general unreasoned,
un-backed-up hostility right from the kick off; you're self-importance shows
in the way you constantly write and mock as though you believe you are an
ultimate authority, e.g.: "When Mark Wiliamson calls you a troll, you must
be one, I think" - I bet you wrote the book on self-importance; it all adds
up to being a twat, and your comebacks are hopeless.
 As far as "nettiquette" goes, there's one rule I know: "Don't say anything
you're not prepared to say to someone's face." I doubt very much you and or
chums have a cock and balls between you, except your boyfriend's.
  I am not the only person who feels dissatisfied with the Americanisation
of Wikipedia. Someone else proposed this, I merely support it.
  Aubergine, as you must know, unless you're a complete fuckwit, is merely
an example of one of the kinds of unintelligibility and linguistic
preference problems. There are Wiki pages already listing unintellibilities
between the two dialects, which are nowhere near completed; they will get
much longer.
 The fact that we are having a heated row about this is no evidence of
intelligibility; it may actually turn out to be evidence of the opposite. Do
you actually know what evidence is?
The instance I gave my encounter with an American over "What's Up"
illustrates how identical vocab, grammar, and syntax does not equal
identical semantics, it can be unintelligible.
Do you remember what you responded with? I doubt it - too busy patting
yourself on the back for your "witty" Trollish quips.
 The idea that American-English is an offshoot of English is actually a
semantic issue.
I am stating that the name "English" has already been used (like a domain
name), and I'm talking about the written word as standardised in England, so
arguing the toss over dialects inside England, and in people's living rooms
is a red herring. You can argue that the term "English" be reappointed to
name a genus of dialects, but I'm arguing that that particular name applies
most aptly to the dialect that has developed in the same geographical place,
among the same ethnolinguistic group where it autochthonously evolved from
Anglo-Saxon into what we know today.
That particular debate is over what names apply to what. Americans call what
we speak "British English", but if you go to the wiki article, you'll see
that that term is not accepted in Britain or England; people feel, and in my
view, rightly, that the prefix is unwarranted. It's a result of having a
country made up of countries.
I've never said my English is better than yours; I've said that too much of
the stuff called English in Wikipedia is not recognisable English in England
and plenty of other places.
 The main part of what pisses me (and others) off, is the fact that most of
the English is American, and non-English speakers are going to read articles
written in American, and think that that is the standard form. I want them
to know that it isn't; that it's the standard form for a dialect of English
called American English - that's what the OED calls it, so should Wikipedia,
in the name of accuracy, accessibility, inclusivity and fairness.
.
 Finally, no, I'm calling you a bully and an ostracist.
Your silly absolutist playground statements like "nobody agrees with you
about xyz" are fluent trollish; plenty of people here are intelligent enough
to pick and choose for themselves what they do and don't agree with, without
your rather de-legitimised recommendations.
 You can't even respond positively to any constructive comments, you have to
run for the cover of your "innernet buddies".
 How anyone as ridiculous as you can call me anything is beyond
comprehension.