[Wikipedia-l] No more new Wikipedias !

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Fri Sep 23 13:51:50 UTC 2005

Hi Arbeo,

>I then also mailed to wikitech-I asking for the
>creation of the Neapolitan WP (in which I have no
>personal interest whatsoever), just to start with the
>one that seems to have the highest number of editors
>waiting to get started. I got only one reply and that
>one was not really helpful.

Thank you for having done this - I was so down under with work these
days that I really was not able to care about this. Anyway: just today
on the Napulitano mailing list, where we talk about Neapolitan, the
wikipedia etc. I received the question by a list member that is not even
among the supporters (at least as much as I know - if he hides behind
one of the names I don't know well, that's another thingie).

So yes, we very much want it - I have the first part of terms in
Neapolitan for the UI.

So I hope that is is going to be created soon, since all of us can then
start to contribute - and even if everyone of us makes just one edit a
day we will reach our goal :-) normally people get addicted and so one
edit a day is really just an example :-)

>A few days ago, user ILVI filed his request for the
>installation of the Ladino Wikipedia (another one that
>qualifies without any doubt) at wikitech-l. He got no
>reply at all.
>
>Before any misunderstandings might arise: I know that
>our developers are extremely busy (and AFAIK unpaid,
>too - good gosh...). I was just wondering if somebody
>has an idea how we could remedy this situation and
>maybe have, like, one new WP per month (so we don't
>lose too many potential new contributors)?

Well, installing a wiki is not soooo difficult - and I would say that it
makes more sense to install some wikis at a time instead of doing one at
a time. I suppose it is easier for them to do it in one rush instead of
creating one new wiki at a time and that they are waiting to reach a
certain number. Really I don't know.

Unfortunately I myself don't have the time to do that - otherwise I'd
just say: give me the access data and show me one time what needs to be
changed manually in the configuration and I just install them - but
maybe we can find a helping hand that just cares about such things? -
Really I don't even know if that is possible ... just take someone,
teach how to do things and let them do ... this is something to be asked
for.

Thanks again for asking for Neapolitan :-)

Ciao, Sabine