[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wiktionary-l] English orthographies

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:25:05 UTC 2005

> > If Norwegian can have two wikipedias, then so should English, for the same
> > reasons.
>
> Or, alternatively, Norwegian shouldn't have two Wikipedias; if the
> situations are as analagous as you imply, I would support their
> merger. What Norwegian speakers would have to say on the matter is a
> whole other debate (and one of which plenty can probably be found in
> the list archives, if you look).

The Norwegian issue was discussed extensively.

In addition to massive (rather than minor) orthographic differences,
Bokmål and Nynorsk have very different grammars (some examples: the
word "I" is "Jeg" in Bokmål and "Eg" in Nynorsk, the word "not" is
"ikke" in Bokmål and "ikkje" in Nynorsk, even the word "Norway" is
"Norge" in Bokmål and "Noreg" in Nynorsk.)

Now, the heart of this issue is: it isn't just a consensus of
Americans that has led to the status quo. It is a consensus of people
from America as well as from all over the Commonwealth, including but
not limited to the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, Canada, New
Zealand, India...

If you want, you can open a poll on Meta-Wiki. If even 10 established
members of any Wikipedia vote in favour of a split, I will be very
surprised.

Until such time as you open that poll, I respectfully request that you STFU.

Mark