[Wikipedia-l] English - a sub-vernacular of Norman French

Giuseppe DAngelo pippudoz at yahoo.it
Tue Sep 20 07:53:38 UTC 2005

On 19/09/05, Gerrit Holl wrote:
> Since English is really a dialect of French, a lie bree is probably a
> place where you buy your books, as it is in any "proper language" (-:

I'm not 100% sure if you were joking or just labouring under a
misunderstanding, so I thought I'd point out that English is largely a
Germanic language, closely related to the various modern Scandinavian
tongues, and also to modern Dutch and German.

French is like a distant cousin (sharing
great-great-great-great-grandparents in Proto-Indo-European) which
recently had a quick affair, so that a few of her features show up in
the offspring ;)

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]

English a germanic language?  Impossible! An absurd notion! Lunacy!  Exaggeration!  Unadulterated opinionated insanity!  Essentially misdirected ill conceived viewpoints. Troublesome tempestuous tapestries.  As tasteless as a tarty tarantella. Significantly senseless.  Quintessentially unquotable.  Positively preposterous. Necessarily nonplussed and nominally abnormal. Exponentially and exceedingly uneventful.  Undeveloped, uncorroborated, irresponsible, and finally, bountifully morally bankrupt.  I opine that I have proven my point.

Yours truly, frankly, ecetera

pippu d'angelo