[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia English English

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Tue Sep 20 07:21:08 UTC 2005

Rowan Collins wrote:
> On 19/09/05, Gerrit Holl <gerrit at nl.linux.org> wrote:
> > Since English is really a dialect of French, a lie bree is probably a
> > place where you buy your books, as it is in any "proper language" (-:
>
> I'm not 100% sure if you were joking or just labouring under a
> misunderstanding, so I thought I'd point out that English is largely a
> Germanic language, closely related to the various modern Scandinavian
> tongues, and also to modern Dutch and German.

I was joking; I know English is a Germanic language. but among all
Germanic languages, it has borrowed most from French. It looks far more
like French than Dutch or German do - and the Scandinavian languages are
even more remote. It may be a Germanic language, but it's a bit of the
ugly duckling among them (-;

Gerrit.

--
Temperature in Luleå, Norrbotten, Sweden:
| Current temperature   05-09-20 09:09:59   12.0 degrees Celsius ( 53.6F) |