[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia English English

Stephen Forrest stephen.forrest at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:18:58 UTC 2005

On 9/19/05, Jack & Naree <jack.macdaddy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Americans seem to want to believe that they speak English, and we speak
> British English in England (meaning Britain!). They are wrong. They speak a
> dialect of our language, called American-English, an offshoot from the main
> trunk if you will, which has evolved somewhat independently of English.

Look, this is getting tiresome.  The only argument you could provide
on why written British English has greater legitimacy than written
American English is that it happens to be written by people who mostly
still live where the writers of the written language ancestral to both
once lived.

This is a political consideration, not a linguistic one.  Since this
political point is not commonly accepted, it is POV and therefore
unsuitable for Wikipedia.

Steve