[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia English English

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Sep 19 12:52:05 UTC 2005

Jack & Naree wrote:

>The thing aboot (!) Canada is that there's a steady stream of recent (and
>educated) British immigrants as with Australia, maintaining the standards.
>I would not be surprised to find Americanisms more a feature of urban
>working-class Canadians near the US border.

Some 80% of the Canadian population lives within 150km of the US
border.  (That's about 90 miles for you Brits and Yanks that don't
understand that.)  British and Australian immigrants have not been
dominant among those who choose to come live in Canada; we see far more
newcomers from India.  I understand that years of British influence have
resulted in a peculiar form of hypercorrect English, but I don't see how
this influx of Raj English will help maintain standards among Disneyfied
Canadians.  I think that a continued practice of smug linguistic aikido
will be more effective  Come to think of it, that strategy may work as
well in cricket as in baseball.

Ec