[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia English English

Jack & Naree jack.macdaddy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:19:06 UTC 2005

On 19/09/05, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is no Wikipedia in "Scot's English". There is a Wikipedia in Scots.

 Aa feckin' speak it bud! and I call it "Inglis".

Now, please list out for me some of the differences between American
> and Commonwealth English which one is likely to see in the average
> encyclopaedia article.

 That would take some time...

> How often will encyclopaedia articles talk about nappies/diapers,
> dummies/pacifiers, lifts/elevators, prams/strollers, or anything else
> where the essential terminology differs?

 more often you seem to realise

The reason there's a separate Wikipedia for Scots is because usage of
> Scots on the English Wikipedia would never be tolerated. However, both
> Commonwealth and American English are tolerated and widely used
> throught the English Wikipedia.
>
> I, for one, am an American who prefers Commonwealth English, but
> having received my education in American spelling (or as you would
> say, "misspelling"), my writing tends to be a jumble of forms rather
> than all one way or all the other. I tend to write "encyclopedia",
> "traveler", "check", "catalog", but "realise", "internationalisation",
> etc. This isn't due to personal preference, but rather habit -- I
> would rather read a document in Commonwealth English, and I try to
> write in it, but since I don't go over my spelling carefully, I tend
> to end up using American spellings most of the time for certain
> lexical items (such as "encyclopedia"), but Commonwealth spellings
> most of the time for others (such as "rationalisation").
>
> See, now, that the most common differences

 qualify "most common"

 are mere differences of
> spelling.

 And I don't want to spell them in a foreign, incorrect way - is that too
much to ask?

And they aren't particularly frequent. How often does
> Wikipedia say "nationalise"/"nationalize", "realise"/"realize"?

 do you really want me to answer that?

Things
> like "kilometres"/"kilometers" are a bit more frequent.
>
> But still, in the past, there haven't been separate Wikipedias for
> such tiny differences. You seem to regard Anglo-Saxon as similar to
> English.

 no, but English is spoken by about 60m people in the British Isles, the 4th
largest economy in the world, and Anglo-Saxon isn't.

 A sample sentence from the Anglo-Saxon Wikipedia, for you to
> decipher (with accents and special characters removed):
>
> "Lundene is heafodburg thaes Geanlaehtan Cynerices and Englalandes,
> and is thara greatostre worulde burga an. Hit haefth seofon millonan
> leoda in Greatrum Lundene (hatte Lundeneras)."
>
> Now is that Balkanisation? "heafodburg"?? Are you kidding me? (in case
> you're wondering, it means "capital"). "cynerice"? do you get that? It
> means "kingdom".

 this is just academic willy waving.

There isn't an actual Wikipedia for Middle English, only a test
> Wikipedia, but it is also a bit hard to understand:
>
> "A dogge is the beste that man hath as a housbeste. Doggen arn 'mannes
> best frend' as the saying goth."
>
> "Hallo. It is trewe, as Briane hath seyde, when thaet man sholde
> scryven as in this cas in middel englisce, that suiche a nam is brodre
> than man wolde thinken, for it refereth to a period of foure hundred
> yaren, in which many different scrives manneren. Peradventure 'twere
> bettre thaet we formed some sort of concordat on this, but I fere
> thaet this coulde forfenden and demarken forcome contributiouns"
>
> Compared to that, American vs Commonwealth differences seem tiny.
>
> Mark

 what a digression.