[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia English English

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 11:51:08 UTC 2005

On 9/19/05, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> He states that
> exclamation marks - which he terms "notes of admiration", the term not
> having then been invented - are superfluous to the language and should
> be abhorred.

Actually I think this one is a good advise for those writing Wikipedia
- usage of exclamation marks often means that you are slipping towards
POV. Alford's term "note of admiration" explains that well - we should
not be noting that something is admirable, just tell the facts and
have the reader decide whether they are admirable or down-to-earth.

Besides, using an exclamation mark in every second line, as some
people tend to do, is in my opinion bad style in itself, even outside
Wikipedia.

Andre Engels