[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia faces key test: corruption in wikipedia

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Sep 18 16:20:18 UTC 2005

Stirling Newberry wrote:
> You didn't check carefully - the edit history shows that the image  was
> last updated in March, when, in fact, the pornographic image has  only
> been in place for a few hours. Or do you think that it would  have been
> left on my user page for months with no one commenting on it?

No, the image description page was last updated in March, the image
itself has been changed three times in the last day. Uploading a new
version of an old image does not cause an entry to be placed in the
history of the image description page. And as Stephen Forrest pointed
out, the upload was performed by an imposter with a homographic name. No
secret sysadmin powers required.

-- Tim Starling