[Wikipedia-l] Re: Sample ASL/English entry

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 07:02:51 UTC 2005

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Mark Williamson wrote:
>
>> 1) Videos take up heaps more space than audio. A very short sample
>> article (the English version was only 4 or 5 sentences long, a total
>> of 88 words compared to the average 348.6) turned into a 1.5 minute,
>> 16MB video. Now, imagine a much longer article -- the average article
>> on enwiki is 348.6 words long. Now, multiply that by 100000. Then, add
>> to that the fact that there are over 100 signed languages in
>> widespread use in the world today, and you get a perfect nightmare.
>> That ends up with over 600TB of video... an astronomical amount of
>> space, not to mention the bandwidth costs. Angela said that space and
>> bandwidth aren't a concern -- I sincerely doubt that anybody has that
>> much space to donate to such a project. And that's just the first
>> hundred-thousand articles, at the level plwiki is today.
>>

> Mark there are people that have a terabyte in their home computer. Also
> you make it seem that all these articles will miraculously apear. I am
> sure that it will take a long time before we have 10.000 articles in ANY
> of the signed languages. To get there, we need people who are seriously
> committed to the project. So the problem is not what you make it seem.

There are also people with less than a gigabyte on their home computer,
and dialup internet. And how you do you propose that people view these
articles? Media policy is that all videos should be Ogg Theora, so first
they will need software that can view the files, and if a one-paragraph
article is 16MB, how big will a full-length article be?

--
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign