[Wikipedia-l] Sample ASL/English entry

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 14:37:18 UTC 2005

HHamilto at doe.k12.ga.us wrote:
<snip>
> Videos could be stored on the Commons and linked to from the English text
> page but the video file size limit would need to be increased dramatically
> from 2MB. The sample video in the link above is about 1.5 minutes and is
> 16MB.

I'm on dialup, you insensitive clod. If videos *are* used in a signed
Wikipedia, there will never be paper copies, and you will make in
inaccessable to everyone except those fortunate enough to be on high
incomes in Europe or North America, most of whom can read well enough
that they won't go to the bother of learning how to use whatever
technology is required to produce signed articles. If this is the road
you end up going down, you can take your project, stick it in a pipe,
and smoke it.

> Making Wikipedia able to handle video will make it more up-to-date. Text
> and pictures were top-o -the-line in the '80's.

Text was the baseline. Today's baseline is text and pictures, not Flash
and streaming media. Go over the baseline and everyone loses.

How would you feel if the Foundation said "We're not going to have any
content in anything other than Esperanto because we think that everyone
should be capable of learning this language"?

--
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign