[Wikipedia-l] Re: Request for AS/English Wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 08:32:33 UTC 2005

Timwi wrote:

> Phroziac wrote:
>
>> On 9/14/05, HHamilto at doe.k12.ga.us <HHamilto at doe.k12.ga.us> wrote:
>>
>>> Some of you have mentioned SignWriting   (at www.signwriting.org) as a
>>> textual way of displaying ASL. The problem is less than a handful of
>>> people
>>> know SignWriting. Video of ASL is needed to  make a true ASL wikipedia
>>

>> How exactly do you edit a video like wikitext?
>

> Maybe a sign language Wikipedia should wait until technology exists to
> automatically convert SignWriting, or any other form of writing sign
> languages, to video.
>
> Timwi

Hoi,
In my experience if you want something to happen, something like Wikis
in sign languages, you should not wait for everything to be perfect. It
is the stimulus of the itch that make people scratch. Commons was
created before it was possible to use its content in other projects and
this really did stimulate coding and mindshare. As such it proved really
wiki to start and find solutions because of the need that was felt, not
the issues that were expressed.

Thanks,
    Gerard