[Wikipedia-l] Treat like Hieroglyphics (was Re: new request for ASL/English wikipedia)

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 11:50:51 UTC 2005

<HHamilto at doe.k12.ga.us> wrote in message
news:OFF9C091A5.D2C71C17-ON85257076.006A0360-85257076.0069F851 at doe.k12.ga.us...

> I am writing to request the establishment of an American Sign
> Language-English bilingual Wikipedia. This will contain the written word
> versions of articles (Englsih) and American Sign Language versions via
> video. We have a dozen users ready to start building this powerful
> resource
> for deaf users and will be recruiting more.

I had an idea in connection with this, whilst reading all the "how do we do
it" messages. Unfortunately the website I wanted to use is unavailable: the
SWML (SignWirting Markup language) site at http://swml.ucpel.tche.br/ seems
be broken at present.

I wondered whether it could be possible to create a SignWriting extension to
Mediawiki, along the same lines as WikiHiero, which used SWML as the source.
This would at the very least allow us to display the signs in articles about
them, and might provide some sort of kick-start for more extensive usage.
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]