[Wikipedia-l] New request for Cantonese Wikipedia: vote at 29-6

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 10:38:47 UTC 2005

Fuzzyhead, I encourage you to re-read the forwarded message.

Perhaps you see it in terms of "Chinese Wikipedia" and "Chinese
language issues", however the reality is very different.

Somebody who was born with and has always lived with Mandarin is just
as much an interested or a disinterested party as Jimbo, David Gerard,
Angela, or Ray Santoinge.

This is about Cantonese and Wu not about, as you say, "Chinese".

The few Northeasterners who can understand that act very differently
in regards to this entire thing, contributing as outsiders of a group
(since they don't know Cantonese) rather than the arrogant way most
Northeasterns have acted here.

Now, I also "intentionally" withheld the information about the vote
from Italian Wikipedians. Is that vote stacking?

The "Chinese Wikipedia", as you call it, is in its current state a
BeiFangBaiHuaWen Wikipedia. The creation of a Cantonese Wikipedia or a
Wu Wikipedia is as relevant or as irrelevant to a BHW Wikipedia as to
an Italian or a German or an Arabic Wikipedia.

Now, you may contest this all I want, but the facts are simple:

1) I posted information about the vote to wikipedia-l, to inform
EVERYONE. people who are not subscribed should subscribe if they want
to receive such information, as that's the purpose of this list;
2) For their benefit, I notified ALL people whose babel templates
indicated they were native speakers of Cantonese. This included 6
people who voted AGAINST it, as well as those who voted for it. When
you stack votes, the votes you stack are generally all in your favour.
3) I sat back and waited. You being you, you didn't vote. Too bad. But
then, the vote is open for an infinite amount of time, so. And I'm
still sitting back and waiting -- anyone can vote. But I don't think
it's fair that a special tipoff goes to zhwiki community, so I think
I'm going to do some tipping off of my own if you don't mind (or even
if you do), as so far the poll seems to indicate that non-Chinese are
much more in favour of a separate Cantonese WP.

Mark