[Wikipedia-l] New request for Cantonese Wikipedia: vote at 29-6

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Sep 10 00:53:43 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson wrote:
> If I hold a vote on the creation of a Wikipedia in Venetian, do I have
> to inform wikiit-l? No. Would it be nessecary? Probably not.

Yes, that would be wise.  I can't think of any reason why *not* to
inform them.

> In fact, it has. Just because I didn't heed YOUR suggestions doesn't
> mean I suck.

No, you don't suck.  He didn't say that you suck, either.  Chill, man,
it's WikiLove, ya know...

> 4) The lack of announcement was partially intentional. I felt that it
> was most fair to send a message to wikipedia-l, and international
> mailing list, and then to individual Cantonese-speaking users.

To me this sounds pretty much an unfair way to go about it.

>>One reason the final (sixth) GNAA VfD was accepted after several
>>controversial rounds of voting was because of how professionally the
>>vote was administered. We should learn from that.
>

> And by "we", you mean "Node", right?

I think he means all of us.  This is a tough call, and therefore in
order to generate widespread support throughout the entire community, a
very professionally done vote is critical.

This is why I'm opposed to rampant voting on everything.  The only valid
purpose for a vote in Wikipedia is actually as a *poll* which seeks to
build community consensus.  Deliberately excluding some interested
parties is a great way to "win" a vote, but it is not a great way to get
buy-in from the entire community.

--Jimbo