[Wikipedia-l] Re: new request for ASL/English wikipedia

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 19:50:02 UTC 2005

Paweł Dembowski wrote:

>> Regardless of the technical means and organization of a signed Wikipedia, I
>>would encourage people discussing the matter not to use wordings that may
>>suggest that ASL is not a language in its own right, or that deaf people
>>have a less fundamental right to acquire knowledge through their own
>>languages than have hearing people.
>> Haruo
>>

>Well, the comments are mostly because the person who proposed the new
>project wanted to include also English language text of the articles,
>which would basically mean forking. And ASL might be a language, but
>unless it has also a special writing system, I don't know if it can be
>created - after all, we do not create Wikipedias for other languages
>that are only spoken and not written.

ASL is most certainly a first-class language, but it _must be written_
to be usable in a text-based system like Wikipedia.

There are two main ASL writing systems: Stokoe, and SignWriting. If you
can work out how to make either of these (or any other system I don't
know about, but is common amongst deaf users of ASL) work with
Wikipedia, you've got a good chance of getting a consensus to start a
new Wikipedia for ASL as a first-class written language. Otherwise, all
you have is the visual equivalent of spoken-word readings of articles in
other languages: they may be interesting and even useful, but since
they're not interactive and Wiki-linked, they're not a Wikipedia.

Your best bet is probably Stokoe, because it's less dependent on graphic
layout. You could _possibly_ represent Stokoe using Unicode symbols and
combining character representations, or use the in-built TeX support, or
you could try ASCII-Stokoe, or writing a custom plugin for a Stokoe-like
Wikitext.

SignWriting is altogether a more difficult problem, as the symbols are
not in most fonts. Something could probably be done with a Wikipedia
extension that converts some form of TeX-like Wikitext format to
SignWriting glyphs, either as rendered .png files, or as SVG.

For an advanced project, you could even consider a SignSynth-like system
that would automatically sign written Wiki-ASL.

Are there any written-sign-language experts here?

-- Neil