[Wikipedia-l] Re: new request for ASL/English wikipedia

Paweł Dembowski fallout at lexx.eu.org
Fri Sep 9 17:59:06 UTC 2005

>  Regardless of the technical means and organization of a signed Wikipedia, I
> would encourage people discussing the matter not to use wordings that may
> suggest that ASL is not a language in its own right, or that deaf people
> have a less fundamental right to acquire knowledge through their own
> languages than have hearing people.
>  Haruo

Well, the comments are mostly because the person who proposed the new
project wanted to include also English language text of the articles,
which would basically mean forking. And ASL might be a language, but
unless it has also a special writing system, I don't know if it can be
created - after all, we do not create Wikipedias for other languages
that are only spoken and not written.

--
Ausir
Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia