[Wikipedia-l] new request for ASL/English wikipedia

Caroline Ford caroline at secretlondon.me.uk
Thu Sep 8 22:43:08 UTC 2005

This certainly isn't a gimmick. It's about the status/role of sign language
within deaf culture.

>From our article on deaf culture:

"Culturally deaf people do not look on deafness as a disability. There is a
simple explanation for this: within the community of deaf people, deafness
is not a disability but an asset in much the same way it is an asset to be a
Navajo within the Navajo tribe or Korean within the community of Koreans of
Los Angeles. In short, it is a distinction about language. Since the Navajo
or Korean view their language as no more than a social disability within the
larger majority culture, so do members of the signing deaf community. They
consider deafness a positive trait, because it is tightly connected to other
aspects of Deaf culture which they experience as positive. Deaf unity and
community is strong. The fact that deafness excludes deaf people from some
aspects of the hearing culture further reinforces cohesion within the
community."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaf_culture

A person with ASL as a native language may consider the addition of ASL to
English language Wikipedia to be a breach of NPOV (as well as a ignorance of
the fact that these are separate languages with their own grammars). Also
note that American sign language and British sign language are not mutually
comprehensible.

Caroline/Secretlondon