[Wikipedia-l] New request for Cantonese Wikipedia: vote at 29-6

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 00:40:36 UTC 2005

"Some dialect of English" implies that Cantonese is merely a dialect of Chinese.

Anyhow, if a Wikipedia in an English dialect were requested, and the
person organising the vote sent private e-mails to all people claiming
that to be their home dialect notifying them of the vote, those people
would most likely vote "against" the creation of such a Wikipedia.

Why should we leave the future of a Cantonese Wikipedia up to Mandarin
speakers? That would be like not only letting (which is what we're
already sort of doing by allowing non-speakers to vote), but actually
ENCOURAGING all of Serbia to vote in a referendum on Kosovar
independence, which is by no rational measure fair.

Given the current results of the vote, and the fact that a huge
portion of the people who voted are actually native Cantonese speakers
(on both sides -- in fact,

Mark

On 05/09/05, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/5/05, Walter van Kalken <walter at vankalken.net> wrote:
>
> > I found our policy with regards to Chinese languages stranger and
> > stranger. We do not do this if we open another Germanic or Romanic
> > language pedia!
>
> It's not policy. There is no policy for creating new languages (just a
> draft one at <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposed_policy_for_wikis_in_new_languages>).
> I was just giving my opinion, and I feel that the relevant communities
> should be told about any language proposals, not only Sinetic ones. If
> some dialect of English were proposed, it would be very unfair to try
> to hide that from the existing English language communities within
> Wikimedia.
>
> Angela.

SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM
POSSIT MATERIARI
ESTNE VOLVMEN IN TOGA AN SOLVM TIBI LIBET ME VIDERE