[Wikipedia-l] Re: More on multilingualism and the press

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Tue May 31 02:52:57 UTC 2005

Mathias Schindler wrote:

> Michael Snow wrote:
>
>> The story is about an author whose Wikipedia biography was apparently
>> falsified, and the information "verified" by somebody impersonating
>> the author on Wikipedia. The Post is written in English, and does not
>> identify the Wikipedia language involved (the incident, it seems,
>> took place on the Hebrew Wikipedia).
>
> I just had a quick look at google and I could not find a page on
> he.wikipedia about him (maybe I did the transscription the Hebrew
> letters wrong).

The Hebrew article, according to the interwiki link on en.wikipedia, is:
http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%90%D7%9E%D7%A0%D7%95%D7%9F_%D7%96%27%D7%A7%D7%95%D7%A0%D7%98

Note that en: currently has the spelling as Jackont, whereas the Post
gives it as Jacont.

> 2003 was far from wikipedia's "breakthrough" in public awareness. So I
> really would like to see the history or the article. After all, this
> article is about people who lied and a book "L for lies" :)

The current Hebrew article was started in 2004. There's a note on the
en: talk page, also dating from 2004, confirming that there was such a
controversy. Unfortunately, I can't read Hebrew to figure out what is
stated there about it. The discrepancy could be because the Post somehow
got the year wrong, or because the incident on he: resulted in the
article being deleted and since replaced with the current article.

--Michael Snow