[Wikipedia-l] Re: GFDL Clarification

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sun May 29 12:19:29 UTC 2005

Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2005, Timwi wrote:
>
>>Quite to the contrary, you only asked if the image could be used on
>>Wikipedia, not whether they would license it under the GFDL or anything
>>else. Therefore, they only agreed to using it on Wikipedia, and
>>therefore it should not be used on Wikipedia because it isn't free.
>
> If I had asked Mercedes Corby if I could licence the images under the GFDL
> I'm sure she would not have had the slightest clue what I was talking
> about.  I'm certain her focus, then as now, is on her sister who has now
> been convicted of a serious offence and sentenced to 20 years jail, not
> licencing issues.  I was not about to expect her to absorb alot of
> information on licencing when she had more important things to worry
> about.  As far as I'm concerned I asked for images that were copyright
> free and that is what I got.

Just because she has "more important things to worry about", doesn't
really make it okay for us to ignore her copyrights and exploit her work.

Instead, maybe you should just ask a simpler question.  "Do you forgo
your copyright?"  If the answer is yes, the image (or other work) is
public-domain and can be used on Wikipedia.

Timwi