[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia and detail

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sun May 29 11:47:57 UTC 2005

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> Wikipedia isn't the only place in the world to store knowledge. It's
> clear that we already are aware of that, which is why we have
> wikibooks, wikiquotes, and wiktionary.

No, not really.  The reason we have Wikibooks, Wikiquote and Wiktionary
is because the community wanted them.  Again, it comes down to the
community majority opinion.  It is no surprise that, with there being a
distinction between an "encyclopaedia" and a "dictionary" in the real
world, a majority of contributors will want to mirror that distinction
out of tradition.  The statement that "Wikipedia isn't the only place in
the world to store knowledge" is invented later to justify this.  It is
relatively obvious that it would be hypothetically possible to store all
knowledge in Wikipedia; people do not deny this, but they only question
that it is desirable.  And again, it comes down to the community
majority opinion.

Timwi