[Wikipedia-l] Article rating topics - speak now!

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Thu May 26 13:16:03 UTC 2005

(also sent to wikien-l)

    http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/En_validation_topics
    http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/De_Validierungsthemen

The article rating feature is going live in 1.5.

SUMMARY: Articles will be rateable on various attributes. All ratings
are public and attributed, just like edits are. We'll be taking
ratings from anons as well as logged-in users, since our readers
vastly outnumber our editors. We're explicitly not doing anything with
the data, so if 10,000 anons rate [[Image:Autofellatio.jpg]] the best
article ever then it doesn't matter. For further detail, see recent
extensive thread on wikipedia-l, and go to http://test.leuksman.com/
using the Monobook skin and click on the 'Validate' tab.

Now, the point of the link at the top of this message is that we
haven't decided what attributes we'll be rating on. We need a good
selection and discussion of them. And we need it soon - 1.5 is
supposed to be rolled out early June. Presumably there will be a vote,
or maybe Magnus will just pick the ones he likes. Or I will. Or
something.

I particularly want to hear from academic researchers interested in
Wikipedia - you folk will LOVE this data. What things would you
particularly like to see reader/editor ratings of?

Also read about the feature and anticipated possible problems:

    http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Article_validation_feature
    http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Article_validation_possible_problems

- d.