[Wikipedia-l] Article validation: allow IP ratings for the raw data phase

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue May 24 12:37:38 UTC 2005

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> In principle I have nothing against anon rating votes.  There could
> still be a problem when someone wants to change his vote.  The changes
> that are made to an article over time are the most likely reason for
> changing a vote.  For a registered user this should be no problem; the
> old vote is removed, and the new one added.  In the case of a dynamic IP
> the old vote would not automatically be removed.

Remember: we are doing absolutely nothing with the votes, other than
logging them.  So you can vote now, and vote again 10 minutes from now,
and both will be recorded, and both will have no impact on anything.

It is desirable that this be equally true for anons and logged in users.

Notice the idea that one should be able to "change" one's vote (rather
than having the date/timestamp/version recorded) is one which ought to
be an _outcome_ of our study of the raw ratings data, rather than
something we assume a priori about how it should work.

--Jimbo