[Wikipedia-l] Article validation: allow IP ratings for the raw data phase

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue May 24 12:35:05 UTC 2005

Magnus Manske wrote:
> * Later, we will allow only logged-in users to rate articles, right?
> Otherwise, we'll lose a great part of the perceived reliability
> improvement, IMHO. But how can we really set up this system if the data
> we use as a foundation for the decision is based on anon entries as well?

I *think* we will allow only logged-in users to rate, but I'm not sure
we can know that a priori.  If we keep track of the data as being
anonymous or not, and in fact keep track of as much information as we
can about the ratings (time of day? ip address, so we can get geographic
location, etc.) we'll have a more valuable store of data to study.

> * Currently, I store only user IDs with the ratings. Since anons don't
> have user IDs, I'd have to change the SQL table for that, in addition to
> "just" some code, which means work for me ;-)

Ok, well, this is a perfectly valid objection.  I desire that anons be
allowed to rate, but obviously I'm not about to code it up myself, so
all I can do is hope. :-)

--Jimbo