[Wikipedia-l] Re: sco/fiu-vro in danger..

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sat May 21 05:19:20 UTC 2005

Well, Angela and Anthere both seem to endorse it.

The idea actually started with, I believe, the Cantonese debate where
Felix Wan decided to go start a Cantonese Test-wikipedia to show
people that it really /can/ be done.

I encouraged him, not thinking much about it being against the rules of meta.

After that, I personally suggested the same thing to Amikeco, the
founder of the Ossetic Wikipedia, although he had already created an
off-site demo.

I suggested the same thing for Scots a while back, in fact I started
it myself and let actual Scotsmen populate it with content.

Seelterfraisk was started by HaafLimbo iirc (his username at the
Limburgish Wikipedia where I seem it most often because I still have
it in my list of Wikipedias I monitor, he's called Wouter Steenbeek on
the list I think), at my suggestion.

I personally started Skandinavisk as a test case to see how a bit of
clever language planning might positively effect the Scandinavian
Wikipedia community. As anybody who knows any Scandinavian language
will see, it is not quite Danish or Bokmål, but not quite Swedish
either and not Nynorsk. (definitely not Icelandic or Faroese). It is
an attempt at an artificially-engineered Scandinavian "happy medium"
and I have so far only used it in the context of test-wp.

Fiu-vro was created entirely without my knowledge, and I believe that
(and its use of the main article space rather than
/test-wp/fiu-vro/ARTICLENAME) is what alerted Aphralagia to the
existance of the essperimentu.

Salutatziones
Mark

On 20/05/05, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
> > So how does that square with people being told on this list to create a
> > test version on Meta if they want a new language Wikipedia?
> >
> > Can anyone answer this?
>
> Maybe whoever told them that could explain it. It seems a bit odd.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM
POSSIT MATERIARI
ESTNE VOLVMEN IN TOGA AN SOLVM TIBI LIBET ME VIDERE