[Wikipedia-l] The Borders of Language Variety Tolerance

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue May 3 10:18:28 UTC 2005

Wouter Steenbeek wrote:
> many times before, but I am a relative newbe on this list.

Why don't you take a look in the list archives.

> Now I would like to pose my question in a casuist way: Could
> requests for wikipedias in Zeelandic and Town Frisian be
> granted.

If you could organize an active crowd of serious contributors, and
have them write the first 3000 articles offline, and good
articles, I think the Wikimedia board would find it very hard to
refuse your request.  So the answer would be "yes", such requests
could be granted. And the new Town Frisian Wikipedia would be just
past the Icelandic, which now has 2500 articles.  But if you want
to start a Wikipedia that never gets beyond 20 articles, you would
instead find it very hard to convince the Wikimedia board.  So the
limit is somewhere in between.  How strong are your arguments?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)