[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia, Emergence, and The Wisdom of Crowds

Alex Krupp alex.krupp at gmail.com
Mon May 2 07:06:36 UTC 2005

I think all Wikipedians would enjoy the book The Wisdom of Crowds by
James Surowiecki. The basic premise is that crowds of relatively
ignorant individuals make better decisions than small groups of experts.
I'm sure everyone here agrees with this as Wikipedia is run this way and
Wikipedia is a success, but until reading this book it was a total
mystery why Wikipedia worked the way it did. And judging by the press
we've gotten, I'm not the only one who feels with way. If you'll
remember, the mystery of how Wikipedia works has been compared to
sausage, bumble bees, public bathrooms, etc.

Although the coolest part of the book is probably the studies and
anecdotal evidence for the above, the big takeaway is that Surowiecki
explains how to get the most 'emergence' out of a given system. That is,
a given group can either make worse decisions than the dumbest member or
make better decisions than the smartest member could, and he gives tips
for achieving the latter. Some of these can potentially be applied to
this project.

So after finishing this book I have been thinking a lot about emergence
in general. Wikipedia displays emergent properties because each article
is better than the contribution of each individual. Similarly, ants
display emergence because an ant colony can accomplish things that each
individual ant cannot even conceive. One commonality between virtually
all forms of emergence, whether artificial or natural, is that they have
evolved to provide answers and solutions. An interesting experiment
would be to see whether questions can also be emergent. The idea being
that some people are good at coming up with questions, and others are
good at coming up with answers, but currently you need both skills in
order to do research; this leaves out all of the people who can ask
questions they can't find the answers to, and those who could find the
answers if only they knew the questions.

So my thought experiment is, if a wiki project were created with just
questions that can be answered non-trivially by science but which
haven't bet answered yet, could it improve the efficiency at which
science was carried out? Furthermore, could questions be emergent, in
that if a bunch of questions are combined then can we think of new
questions that no single person could think of on their own? I think it
is easy to see how society benefits when every person has access to the
sum of all human knowledge, but is there also a benefit to each person
having access to the sum of all human ignorance?

Alex "pHatidic" Krupp
http://www.alexkrupp.com