[Wikipedia-l] Autofellatio

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Mar 28 22:12:00 UTC 2005

1) Brion is on the case already. There's a code change in CVS that will
allow InterWiki redirects to show a "Redirected from" like regular
redirects.

2) Angela pointed out to me that even if the image was deleted from the
English Wikipedia, it could still be on any of the other wikis on the
InterWiki map (e.g. all Wikicities), all of which can be used for
InterWiki redirects. So you wouldn't just need a cross-Wikipedia deletion
or linking policy, but pretty much one across all wikis. That is clearly
not a workable solution.

3) The autofellatio image may be a case where many people agree that it is
inappropriate in any context, but many images which we clearly want, such
as the photos GerardM uploaded of venereal diseases, would be clearly
inappropriate on user talk pages. That doesn't mean such images should be
deleted.

We should simply consider this vandalism, and improve the tools we use to
deal with it. 1) helps a great deal already. Single login will also help,
as people will not suddenly be thrown into a wiki whose language they do
not speak once they have set their language user preference. We may,
however, want to consider disabling InterWiki redirects specifically for
non-Wikimedia wikis whose policies are beyond our control.

All best,

Erik