[Wikipedia-l] Re: Autofellatio

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 14:31:47 UTC 2005

<anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

 >>In case of all sensible images such as the autofellatio, it should be
 >>the project choice whether to display it or not. And I think the
 >>multiplication of complaints on the topic requires to think about a
 >>viable solution for all of us.
 >

 > It IS the choice of the project. If you don't want the image on your
 > project, don't add a link to it. And yes, people can add the link
 > again, but then, they can upload the image again too, or re-insert a
 > copyright violation, or whatever. I don't see the problem.
 >
 > Andre Engels

No, it is not the choice of the project.

When editors start to complain noisily over and over and over that the
pornographic pictures of the english wikipedia are spilling over their
project, then there is a problem. And I think it is normal that I report
it, because I think it is understandable that people are upset and ask
that a solution is brought.

Add that this is done by a bot and at high speed, and add that it is NOT
easy to revert a redirect to another project, and you have the seed of a
crisis boiling.

When porn images were linked many times in the english project, due to
vandalism, it resulted in some solution being proposed : no direct
linking allowed (granted, there was also the issue of the copyright).

When wrong images are uploaded at high speed by anonymous editor, the
solution is to allow image upload only to log-in editors.

These two solutions do not allow to entirely prevent vandalism, but they
allow to slow down the speed of it.

Now, we have several projects, such as the french, the dutch, the
spanish ones, which are victims of vandalism spree by a bot, which
redirect pages to the english pornography. It is a vandalism difficult
to revert. It is time consuming. And it is very upsetting to editors.

The question is "is it okay that several editors spent several hours
running to remove pornographic images from other editors talk page or
their main page ?"; Is it the best way to use people time ? what value
do you give to people time when they spent 1 hour cleaning up the mess
of a 5mn bot ?

Dunno, but when editors leave me a spanish desperate message on my talk
page, when I see calls on the french pump to go for deletion of the
english image, I just think there IS a problem.

I am not sure the solution of this problem is to make a general call on
all pedias vandalised to go vote for the image deletion.