[Wikipedia-l] Re: Setting up a Scots Wikipedia

Derek Ross derekrss at yahoo.ca
Sun Mar 20 18:21:18 UTC 2005

Angela said...
>I suggest you add the request to
>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages but until
>there is a policy for whether or not these can be created, the
> requests are likely to just keep mounting up.

Yes, I've already done that. It's supposed to be part of the standard procedure for setting up a Wiki.

>A proposed policy is at
>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Policy_for_wikis_in_new_languages

Yes, I read that. I also read the current policy on the same page which states that any new wiki can be created upon request by a developer.

>Do you know if any other people are interested in contributing to this wiki?

:See http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages for currently interested parties. And I would be surprised if there aren't more. I held off making this request until there were a reasonable number of registered Scottish contributors to the English Wikipedia, otherwise I would have made it in 2002. I expect several of them to sign up.  We have had a small but steady response on the Gaelic Wikipedia with 55,000 speakers. I would expect more on the Scots with 1.5 million speakers.

Cheers

Derek