[Wikipedia-l] FlickR

Ilya Haykinson haykinson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 19:37:09 UTC 2005

At Wikinews we use Flickr fairly often, copying properly-licensed
photos to the Commons. Several times now I've even approached authors
of images there and asked them to relicense some good-looking photo to
cc-by or cc-by-sa.

Flickr used to have a web-based search for creative-commons-licensed
images. That search is now for some reason disabled, but I've written
an app for Windows that uses their API and lets you do a (rudimentary)
search for Flickr images matching a particular license (Attribution
and Attribution-ShareAlike obviously are the only ones that work for
the Commons).  The tool's homepage is
http://tiredbrain.com/wikinews/flickr/ if anyone else is interested.

-ilya