[Wikipedia-l] Re: NPOV

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Mar 13 06:48:33 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson wrote:

>All these factors combined mean that en: is still very much shaped by
>the collective cultural experiences of its editors, and thus while we
>try to remove systemic bias we still miss some important POV holdouts
>because they don't jump out at us, and en: is still very much an
>encyclopaedia written from an
>American-Australian-NewZealandic-Canadian-British perspective/POV with
>only relatively minor counterbalances from those whose cultural
>experiences fall outside those of the aforementioned English-native
>group.

This depends a lot on where on en: Wikipedia you look.  Many of the
articles related to mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan have been
edited by people who actually live there, and their opinions tend to be
given somewhat disproportionate weight, as they're presumed to know what
they're talking about (not exclusive weight, but more than my opinions
on Hong Kong would be given).  There was even a class in Hong Kong whose
teacher had his students go around on en: adding articles on different
places, companies, etc. in the city.

Just now I clicked on "Random page", and I got [[Vienna U-Bahn]],
written by [[User:ThomasK]], whose user page indicates he lives in
Vienna.  Etc.

Percentage-wise, non-English-world users might not make up a large
proportion of the editors, but their influence is fairly strong,
especially on subjects related to their home country.

-Mark