[Wikipedia-l] Request for creation of Dutch-Low Saxon (nds-nl)

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Jun 29 13:23:29 UTC 2005

Wouter Steenbeek wrote:
> No, I am not! Please read my messages more closely. I stated that those
> dialects are not to be mutually understood /when written down/. The spellings
> used are incompatible.

Can't you see that discussing qualities is leading nowhere?  Next
thing you will be doing original research on the qualitative
differences between dialects.

Instead I suggest that you discuss quantity.  How much literature
has been published in each dialect?  Has any encyclopedia, or even
dictionary, ever been printed in these dialects?  Are people using
it for everyday writing such as e-mails, newspapers, blogs, and
corporate memos?  Is there any useful basis (spelling reference,
reading population, community of editors) at all for writing an
encyclopedia?  Would readers of the local newspaper use it as a
fact reference, when they meet unknown concepts?  Or would they
just ignore it and go to the Dutch, English, or German Wikipedia?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)