[Wikipedia-l] Problems with finding native Seeltersk speakers

Wouter Steenbeek musiqolog at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 21:34:05 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Trying to set up a Wikipedia in Seeltersk, I e-mailed Pyt Kramer, who is an
important authority on this language, and has good contacts with many native
speakers. He already promised his collaborations on the project. Now I
explained him in my e-mail that the community wants native speaker support,
but that would be problematic. Most native speakers are to be found among
elderly people, who are relatively unfamiliar with the internet and have
learned no English. There is only one potential contributor, who - luckily -
was also willing to work on it. The second category of native speakers
consists of children, who are not yet supposed to collaborate. The number of
native speakers between 15 and 60 is really very low.

But among those, we can recruit some willing contributors: the parents
raising their children in Seeltersk. They are real Seelters, and in their
daily life they speak the language every day. That makes them as good as
native speakers.

Therefor I would like to ask: is it possible, with a language which is being
revived, to grant requests like these when language revivers rather than
native speakers are showing their interest?

Thanks,

Wouter