[Wikipedia-l] Middle-Earth Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 28 17:10:12 UTC 2005

Yann Forget wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Le Tuesday 28 June 2005 11:46, Phil Boswell a écrit :
>

>>"Mark Williamson" <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote in
>>message news:849f98ed050627143841a440ca at mail.gmail.com...
>>[heavy snippage]
>>

>>>... Quenya, Sindarin, Cirth, and Tengwar have
>>>some degree of followers (to be sure, I sometimes wish Tolkien had
>>>combined all his languages into Tolkienish --- it's too bad the
>>>Tolkien languages fanbase is sort of divided over so many different
>>>languages)
>>>

>>So why not have one "Middle-Earth languages" wikipedia, which can accept
>>articles written in any or all of the above?
>>

>I don't think there should be any Wikipedia in any of the Tolkien languages.
>Tolkien is a wonderful author, but Wikipedia is not here to host this kind of
>languages. But maybe in Wikicities ?

I would also be happy to rid Wiktionary of this sort of thing.  The
supporters of these languages seem to have only questionable contact
with reality.  Tolkien was a learnèd man whose philological studies
helped to make his stories more vibrant, but sometimes people need to be
reminded tha "Lord of the Rings" was a work of _fiction_.  The languages
developed there are also works of fiction with no credibility in the
real world, and no basis for development beyond the context of Tolkien's
books.  That being said, any attempt at building an encyclopedia in
these languages must falter when it needs to develop vocabulary for
concepts that are alien to Middle Earth.

It is fitting that Wikipedia have an article giving an outline of these
languages, and that Wikibooks might even give an outline of the
grammar.  Apart from that can we at least try to find some separation
between the real and fantasy world?

Ec