[Wikipedia-l] Re: Why do we have them??

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 08:52:50 UTC 2005

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Tim Starling wrote:
>
>> I think we can put the blame on our use of language code lists which are
>> biased towards political rather than linguistic divisions.
>>

> An important observation.  In Wiktionary I keep having to beat back
> the argument that a wide assortment of  conlangs are acceptable
> because they have been granted a code.
>
> Ec

Hoi,
Well actually, you are beating back the arrival of conlangs in the
English wiktionary. It is most definetly not universally accepted that
conlangs should not exist in a Wiktionary. When conlangs do not exist
exept for their occurance in a Wiktionary, that is another matter.

When the spelling of words is different according to where they are
used, the words are definitly needed in both forms and they need to be
in a Wiktionary. Papiamento for instance has two distinct ways of
spelling. It would be stupid NOT to have both official spellings in a
Wiktionary. So when a language code marks a different way of pronouncing
or a different way of spelling, it has its place in Wiktionary. In
Wikipedia you can say things like "both can speak and read their
versions of a language" in a Wiktionary you represent the existing
spelling of words and you are not involved in judging if a spelling is
political correct or not.

In Ultimate Wiktionary, we want to have it a user preference that will
allow you to select what languages you want to add. The languages that
will be allowed to start with will be the ones that have a language
code. Within a language there will be room for distinct spellings. There
will also be room for old spellings; this is particularly relevant for
the Dutch language as it will have new spelling rules that will be
published on October 15 and will be the official spelling from August 1
2006 onwards.

Thanks,
    GerardM