[Wikipedia-l] dialect/language continuums

Giuseppe DAngelo pippudoz at yahoo.it
Sun Jun 26 04:15:30 UTC 2005

I confess I know only the barest of details regarding the various idioms spoken along the Dutch/German border.  But I have always thought that the people that live either side of that border understood each other far better than say a speaker of "hollands"  and say "twents" of "gelders-overijssels".  I  therefore agree that political borders, often nothing more than quirks of history, cannot be viewed as representing linguistic borders.  That's my two bob's worth.
pippu d'angelo, canberra